Sunday, June 6, 2010

peacock fabric

as i write this post, my new dress fabric is washing in the washing machine.  i went to Stitches on Pike St. just west of Broadway in Capitol Hill.  http://www.stitchesseattle.com/  it is a cute little shop and the salespeople were great...not right on top of me when i walked in, but very helpful when i asked for help.  and best of all, since i have been short on time this week, i got the pattern, picked out the fabric and everything in half an hour!  and that was all i had before i had to pick up the kids at school on Friday.  i guess if there was a down side, it was that i did not look at any prices...just picked out what looked good.  i blindly assumed, i guess since i have not sewn anything in so long, that making your own dress would be cheaper than buying one.  wrong.  wrong.  wrong.  i probably picked out the most expensive fabric i could make a cotton dress out of!  $17/yd!!!  but hey, it is really nice and it will truly inspire me to do my very best.  i don't want to ruin it after spending that much!   so, here is the fabric.  Can you tell there are peacocks on it?  funny, there has been a peacock theme, starting with a card Jamie gave me when this all began.  i think i wrote about that.  and my painting.  and then i didn't even put that together until i got home with this fabric.


the pattern I picked is by Amy Butler, the anna tunic.  i am making the mini dress.  here is a photo of the pattern package...it has the tunic on it, and the mini dress is similar, but without the sash/tie thingy.  and maybe more fitted.  we'll see!



So, the fabric is washing and i need to hunt down a tape measure.  it's just the kind of thing that the kids love to play with and then i can never locate it again.  so, find the tape measure first....then get measurements.  then cut the pattern, which is really scary for me.  once it's cut, it's cut.  you know?  i know, obviously.  but then i have a hard time making the first cut.  but generally, once i get started i loosen up a bit.  so, that's the plan for tonight.  then tomorrow....start cutting the fabric.  

besides the sewing project beginning, life has been offering many lessons for growth, as per usual.  i do seem to be gaining more and more confidence.  but then i have also been having my usual baby cravings too, which i thought i was totally over.  i think it is a distraction technique that my ego uses to keep me exhausted and not on my true path.  i mean, there is nothing wrong with babies....god, i love them.  holding my friends baby on my hip this weekend while i was cooking felt so natural.  i miss that.  and yet, not having a little, little one....maybe that has made it easier for me to do things like this monthly journey....and learning more about myself, and taking better care of myself.   and maybe even getting closer to truly deciding what i want to be when i grow up! :)  which may just involve babies, just not my own!

Oh, and real quick....here is one thing i found about peacock symbolism:
"The Peacock can rejuvenate self-esteem levels too. If you’re feeling “blah” and blue, imagine the glorious, techno-color display the Peacock provides. This puts us in a proper mood to embrace your own nobility. In no time, you’ll be walking tall and proud as a Peacock too!"



peace...
melissa












No comments: