Thursday, October 27, 2011

Trade-Offs

Oh, yeah baby!
posted by Melissa Baumgart
"When all else fails, go to yoga!"
This should be my life's motto.

Today was day three of being back to Bikram.  It is shitty, and hard and I whine internally at myself throughout most of class.  But I love it.  WTF is up with that?  Can anyone explain that phenomenon to me?  I guess it is like I realized in the past with this yoga, it kicks my ass into shape on more than the physical level.  You are mentally, emotionally and spiritually training as well.  And there is something deeply satisfying about that.

Still not running.  Isn't 90 minutes of sweating my ass off a good trade-off for running one mile a day?

Time to Reboot.
I was getting out of control with my eating habits.  Even after realizing that I had gained back weight, I ate more.  I consumed bread, chips, cheese, popcorn, pizza, fries, pasta...all like each day was my last.  I know there is something to be said for living in the present, and living like there is no tomorrow.  But maybe, just in case there is, I might need to not have fries and mayonnaise every day.  I might want to look in my fridge and say, "What's fresh today?" once in a while, instead of the usual, "What can I eat that involves mayonnaise?"

Somehow Bikram yoga "re-boots" by system.  One of my teachers put it that way to me today and it really made sense.  Maybe for other people it is running.  Or swimming.  Or playing a sport.  Whatever it is for you, I hope you are blessed to have found it.  And if not,get out there and start trying new things!  Without this blog, I don't know if I ever would have found yoga.

I just hope I have the willpower to stick with it again.

-Melissa

2 comments:

Michael Raitzyk Jazz Guitarist said...

YES! There is that "thing" that we know will get us "back on track".....it comes down to making a decision. A decision to NOT indulge in the behavior that dis-connects us from ourselves (no matter how crappy we are feeling!)and instead, come up with an alternative action to indulge in. Sometimes I've had to Re-make that decision every 3 minutes!!

Melissa Baumgart said...

I hear ya, Michael. Behavior that disconnects us from ourselves, well put. Thanks for sharing!