Thursday, February 7, 2013

No Postage Required

Posted by Melissa Baumgart
Today I wrote a letter to ______________.  Sometimes I call it the Universe.  You might call it God or Goddess or something else.  I took it all kinds of hippie style and hand-wrote my deepest frustrations and longings on a piece of lined paper and then I burned it.  I burned all those words and feelings into ash.

I tried to be all spiritual about it as it burned.  But the truth of the matter was, I was too cold and feared burning the whole building down. Plus, I was too worried someone was going to walk by and think, "Now, what in the hell is that crazy lady doing burning something here on the city sidewalk?  Hippie."  Exactly.

Nevertheless, I now sit somewhere between satisfaction and apathy.  Part of me wants to believe a symbolic gesture like that matters.  And the other part of me, well, it just doesn't believe anything matters except the tangible things and actions in life and the intangible feelings we experience in the presence of others. 

Either way, I did write a letter today.  Did you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will write a letter today...the best ones are the ones you write for yourself and never get sent. -Dina

Melissa Baumgart said...

How did it go? Did you write yourself a letter?