Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Weight Watcher's: Week 1

0 Points!
Posted by Melissa Baumgart
Losing Weight - Weight Watcher's Style

It's not going as bad as I had expected.  I actually started WW a couple weeks before March, just to see what it was like.  I was either starving or fudging my points so I could eat more. 
"Eh, sure, that was only a tablespoon of mayonnaise.  And maybe half a cup of fries.   Looks like 4 oz. of wine to me!"  
When in reality, I had no idea how much it was because I stuffed it all into my face too fast to even eyeball the amount.  And when I felt like I was keeping up with the points for real, I felt so hungry all the time. (Also, I am doing the online version, maybe the in person check-in works better for accountability.)

I think that happens though, when you're used to eating everything all the time, and not thinking about what you're putting into your mouth.  When you start taking toll of your diet, and you lessen what you eat, there can be a bit of time where you're body is craving more.  More.  More.  Now that I have settled into this, I feel lighter, and definitely less hungry.

My plan:
I am allowed 26 points a day.  And I have 47 "extra" points a week.  The extra points can be spread throughout, used for one big splurge, or not used at all.  You can also earn point from being physical, so I earn a good bit from running during the week.  And make sure to track your wine intake, I really was cheating in that area for the first while. 

To get an idea of how many points are in foods, here is a list of foods I have been typically eating, and their points:
  • Coffee and 2 Tbsp half & half - 2 points
  • 2 Hard boiled eggs - 4 points
  • Mixed Greens, carrots, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and dressing - 3 points
  • 1 oz. cheddar cheese - 3 points
  • 1oz. crumbled feta cheese - 2 points
  • 3oz. chicken breast, without skin - 3 points
  • Kale - 0 points
  • Grapefruit - 0 points
  • 4 oz. wine - 4 points
  • 2 cups air popped popcorn and 1 Tbsp butter - 5 points
Things I like so far:
All fruits and veggies are 0 points!
It has brought a new awareness to what I eat.

Things I don't like so far:
It really focuses on "low-fat", so avocados and nuts are a lot of points.  Boo.
Anything sugar-free (Coke Zero) is 0 points...so I am tempted, but I know that crap cannot be good for me.

We weigh in again, together, tomorrow.  I'm kinda excited to see what the number is!  

No comments: