Friday, April 12, 2013

Look for the signs

Posted by Melissa Baumgart
First thing I saw as I walked into the coffee shop.
I have not been on the "Wow, Paleo feels like 10 cups of coffee" buzz that I started out on.  To be honest, I'm glad.  I am not inherently one of those chipper, always shining, happy people...so I wouldn't want meat to change that.  I wouldn't feel like me if I didn't dip down into the darkness once in a while and hate everything.

Today is a new day though, and I feel a bit better.  Maybe it started when I fit into a pair of jeans I hadn't fit into for months.  Take that scale, I guess I didn't need you this month after all.  Even the fact that my eggs came with cheese on them when I asked for none (I scraped it off), and there was a HUGE side of hash browns on my plate, didn't get me hating.  I didn't eat them BTW, a major, and surprisingly easy accomplishment. 
This was on my table when I sat down.
I do appreciate, though, that even when I'm hating on life...I am still awake to the good omens all around.  I have these things, signs, that when I see them I am reminded that I am in the right place at the right time.  And even on darker days, there they are, reminding me that even this is OK.  I don't need to be anywhere but here, awake to my own feelings, no matter what they are.

A few of my recent and long term good signs:
  • Owls
  • Black Escalades (don't ask)
  • The #9
Stay awake!  Be right where you are and be your own witness to your own life, no one else can do it for you.

1 comment:

Bob Redmond said...

Catching up on my GLWT reading--nice post, I was wondering what happened after the initial buzz. And like many of your monthly adventures, this one seems to have some residual effects. Amy has been making Paleo granola which I JUST TRIED today (mid-May!). It was terrific! Anyhow, back to your writing: I like the combo of information, reportage, and reflection. Looking forward to reading the rest of April!