Monday, April 8, 2013

Strength Training

Posted by Melissa Baumgart

So, it wasn't the Cross-Fit class that seems to be the paleo-rage these days.  At least that's the impression I get.  But I did go to a Strength Training class today.  Actually, for all I know, it was like Cross-Fit.  I've never been to either before today!  I have read that if you are doing Paleo, it's important to do some kind of strength training.  It seems that the Paleo mentality believes in less cardio (or at least not extended cardio) and more short, intense workouts that leave you feeling energized and refreshed.

The Paleo mistake not to make:
I was stuffing my face 45 minutes before class.  I had skipped breakfast and was working all through the morning on school (OK, and pretending to work at the coffee shop with Amy.) so before I realized it, it was almost time for class.  I got berries, kombucha, cashews and an avocado at the grocery.  I don't know how many handfuls of nuts I ate.  And berries.  Ugh, I think I ate too much too close to class.  

The studio, STRENGTHstudio, is owned by a fellow mom at my kid's school and another mom invited me to join her.  The first class is free (Thank you, Susan!) and it came with glowing reviews from my friend.  I figured it was a win-win...a good workout and support a local mom-owned business.  I didn't think it would be that bad (hard) since I have been running for a few months now.  But, I have not done any strength training.  And boy, did it show!

We started out with a run outside, just a couple of blocks.  Cool.  I got that. 

Then we started the real work inside.  We did lots of different workout moves all for one minute each.  A minute can be a VERY long time when you're squatting and jumping with a weighted ball, swinging kettle bells around and holding plank pose while while making your feet do a running motion while each on a separate felt piece.  I know, I can barely understand what was going on and I did it.  Well, most of it.  My legs, my feet, my arms...they all barely worked by the end of class. 
Oh, and the best part...she said, "This was an easy class."  What!!!??? 

I'll be back.  I need more of that.  A good stop-whining-and-keep-moving kinda training.  Plus, I  felt a sense of community from the women present, that everyone really wanted everyone else to succeed.  I don't know why, but I didn't get that sense of "paying for torture" that I got at the Barre class, even though this class wasn't any less torturous, in my opinion.

Plus, I do feel energized and refreshed!  Enough to go for a (short) run!

No comments: