Tuesday, June 25, 2013

What I didn't mention about my toe

Posted by Melissa Baumgart
It sure is nice when I can turn this off.

I went for a 33 minute run last night.  Yes, 33.  I was shooting for 30, but went a little farther, and I had to mention the extra 3 minutes.  Because, it is three minutes of running, which doesn't really come all that easy.  The crazy thing is, is that my toe doesn't really hurt when I run.  I don't know if it is the way my foot hits the ground differently during a running stride vs. a walking one or if there are other distractions when running (Like the ongoing mantra....You can do this.  You won't stop breathing and fall over.)  Whatever it is, it felt good.

Until I stopped running.

Then my toe felt like a balloon.  I was limping worse than ever.  Even worse than after I went dancing the two nights after I broke my toe...in 3 inch wedges.  I know, it's terrible.  And I didn't even admit to it before.  I was all, "Poor me and my toe.  I can't run.  I can't be active."  Meanwhile, I was out dancing at the club until 2am two nights in a row!  Look, I was planning those nights out and off-call (i.e. NO pager.  Yes, I actually use a pager, like it's the 1990's) for a month, and I wasn't going to let a broken middle toe stop me.  Somehow, it didn't hurt while dancing either.  Maybe the wedges acted as a brace?  Or maybe the drinks I had eased the pain?  Or maybe dancing is just so flipping fun that it didn't matter in the least.

This week's goal: run 30 minutes a day, Monday - Friday.  One day down, four to go!


2 comments:

Robert Terry (father) said...

You may want to use a bike. We have Becky's which I can put in my bags when I come out in August. Maybe more visits to the pool for the exercise until the toe heals. Boy, I'm such the father, wanting to do for my ailing daughter.

Melissa Baumgart said...

Thanks, Dad! Good thing I'll be at a pool all next week. Although, I don't think I'll be doing laps...more like doing naps. haha