Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Don't be a loser

Posted by Melissa
Yesterday was Day 30 of the 30 Day Bikram Yoga challenge. I made it to the 7pm class, and it was a tough one. Right before class, another student was leaving the 5pm class and congratulated me on the challenge. "How was it?" she asked. "Easiest one yet," I replied, feeling excited for class.
Well, that 30th class kicked my butt. I was breathing heavily, contemplated savasana way more than I had recently, and probably let out a few too many sighs. As if my drama could change anything about the class.  In fact, it likely only made it that much more of a struggle. The struggle is a choice. It really is. Sometimes that thought feels defeating, but it is actually the most empowering idea. Even if you choose to struggle and be in that drama, it is yours. You choose to be in peace or in struggle, no one makes you. What does Bikram say..."If you let someone steal your peace, then you are the loser." So true.

What I learned in the past month:
  • I can make it through a Bikram yoga class without giving myself an "out".
  • At 42, I can be the most fit and the strongest I have been in my entire life.
  • It really is mostly mental, the physical follows your thoughts.  
  • When I listen to the teacher, really listen and follow the form, it's always easier.
  • I can hydrate and nourish my active body without sugar, and only whole foods.
  • I like (love) myself more than I thought I did.
  • I am way, way stronger than I ever thought.  On every level.
  • I have an amazing community.
I finished out the class and took the longest, most peaceful, final savasana ever. Somehow, lying on my sweat saturated towel was completely satisfying and worth every drop. 

No comments: